Project Brief: Create a seamless transition from kitchen to garden and create an eating area, maintain a defined garden area and provide subtle and much-needed storage space.
Project Description: The vast expanse of glass sliding doors that left nowhere to hide have been replaced with new bifold doors that now lead seamlessly from the kitchen / day room out to a raised composite deck area and weatherproof armchairs for lounging in the warm sun. A new porcelain tile terrace with deck inlay is now a large enough space to relax and dine alfresco. Wide steps with oak sleeper planters, planted with mature olives lead up to a luxurious artificial lawn . A stepping stone path leads the eye to secondary smaller raised terrace – a lovely space to sit and read and look back at the home. Putney Bridge Tube station provides the back drop to laser-cut corten steel panels. Elegant hardwood screens further help define areas and ‘hide’ the necessary garden storage and utility area!
- The family of adults and teenagers now want to being the outdoors
- Bold and distinct areas help define the space and provide areas for different activities
- Natural and man made materials work well together
- New architectural plants create a lived in feeling and an immediately well established outdoor space
- The eye is drawn through and around the garden
- A subtle lighting scheme extends enjoyment of the space beyond the hours of daylight