Low maintenance outdoor terrace garden – the perfect suburban oasis in Kingston, Surrey
Project Brief: Transform a difficult, worn out space into a contemporary space that invites you to sit out, relax and enjoy a drink on a summer’s day or the occasional evening al fresco meal.
Project Solution: Working with limited space is tricky, but clever use of terracing with smooth sawn sandstone, timber screens and cobble mulch do just that. The planting does need some seasonal attention but, otherwise this is a low maintenance courtyard terrace. In the evening simple, subtle lighting highlight all the plants, including the elegant large box ball spheres.
- Sawn sandstone is used to create uniform terraces, steps and the stepping stone path to the rear gate.
- Growing a lawn was always a struggle under the mature tree – now Atlantic rounded cobblestones provide texture and help keep the weeds down.
- Simple lattice screening helps obscure the neighbour’s fence
- Mature architectural plants are well positioned to provide interest
- A subtle lighting scheme extends enjoyment of the space beyond the hours of daylight.